Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Smoke Detectors

Smoke detectors are crucial to every home because smoke and toxic fumes spread faster than the actual flames. Smoke inhalation is the primary cause of death for home fire victims, and 60% of home fire deaths occur during fires in which no working smoke alarm was present.

Carbon Monoxide Awareness2023 Carbon Monoxide FAQs

The Davidson Fire Department is educating citizens about carbon monoxide, or CO, which is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.

Carbon monoxide is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and gas ranges and heating systems. Carbon monoxide from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned by breathing it.

Poisoning Symptoms

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of carbon monoxide inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Unless suspected,carbon monoxide poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from carbon monoxide poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.

Prevention Tips

Here are some tips on preventing carbon monoxide exposure from the Centers for Disease Control:

  • Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Do install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.
  • Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
  • Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
  • Don't run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Don't burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.
  • Don't heat your house with a gas oven.

Donations & Installations

In both carbon monoxide incidents and fires, early detection can prevent escalation to a serious or fatal condition. Our goal is to have working and properly-installed detectors in every structure in Davidson. 

Davidson residents should contact the fire station by email, or call 704-940-9623 to arrange a free detector inspection or to request assistance with installation of smoke detectors.

To request a test of a detector, please complete this form.