Rental Subsidy Program
The Town of Davidson is partnering with the Ada Jenkins Center to administer the Town's Rental Subsidy Program under the umbrella of the Comprehensive Housing Affordability Program, also known as CHAP.
For a PDF of Frequently Asked Questions, please click HERE.
The purpose of the Rental Subsidy Program is to make existing rental units within West Davidson affordable by ensuring occupants who make 80% or less of the current Mecklenburg County area median income (AMI) are paying no more than 30% of their income toward rent and utilities. Applications will be reviewed on a first come basis for as long as funding is available. The maximum rental relief amount is $500 per rental unit per month. Applicants and rental units must meet the following program provisions.
Applicants must meet the following property and household requirements to be eligible for the Rental Subsidy Program. Recipients of assistance will be selected using the criteria listed below without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, or disability. Applications will be reviewed on a first come basis for as long as funding is available.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- The rental unit must be located within the Town limits.
- The rental unit may not be governed by affordable housing deed restrictions or covenants.
- Applicants receiving on-going rental subsidies or assistance from other sources are not eligible.
- The program is limited to tenants who are at or below the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) low-income limit, defined as at or below 80% of AMI (priority will be given to those at 50% or below AMI).
- Applicants must be paying more than 30% of their income toward rent and utilities.
- Applicants must provide proof of income for all household residents over 18, and the household income must earn at or below 80% of the Area Median Income as defined by the most current Income Limits for the Charlotte/Gastonia/Rock Hill region issued by HUD (see chart below). Documentation includes paystubs, benefit letters, pensions, and other documents.
- Applicants must have a current lease in place for duration of requested subsidy and provide the lease to the program administrator as part of the application packet.
- Only one person per household can apply for the program.
- Applicants must be able to show proof of residency in their current unit in Davidson, NC, since January 2022.
- Applicants must be current (not in arrears) in rent payment.
- This is a 12-month rental assistance program and only valid for the unit where the applicant is currently residing. The rental assistance subsidy does not move with the tenant.
- If at any time during the period of rental relief assistance, the applicant is in breach of their rental lease with the property owner, the renter forfeits future assistance payments.
- The property provider must be willing to accept the subsidy and must submit a signed release waiver to the Town’s partner (Ada Jenkins Center) to verify rental information.
- The property provider must be willing to receive a rental assistance payment from the Town or Town’s partner and provide a current W9. No checks will be written to an individual renter.
- The rental property must be safe, have no code violations, and conform to fair housing laws.
- Applicants must commit to annual recertification.
For information about the application process, contact Elizabeth Roman at the Ada Jenkins Center, 704-659-1051, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Refer to the Town of Davidson Rental Subsidy Program.