In 2017, the UNC-Charlotte Urban Institute created a Housing Needs Assessment for the Town of Davidson. Highlights include:
1. Housing inventory is heavily single-family, owner-occupied. There is a need for more rental units.
2. The population has more than tripled in the last 25 years.
3. There is an aging population. Davidson is missing the 20-39 age range.
4. The population is increasingly affluent and educated. Davidson is the only town in the county where over half the residents earn more than $100,000..
5. 5,500 people work in Davidson. Half of the workers earn less than $40,000, and few workers live in Davidson.
6. Homes are less affordable. Median sales price in 2015-16 was $385,000 (Cornelius- $265,000; Huntersville- $250,000)
Davidson citizens were invited to the Davidson Town Hall board room on Monday, May 8, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. for an affordable housing forumhosted by the Town of Davidsonand the UNC-Charlotte Urban Institute.
The UNCC Urban Institute presented information and recommendations from the recently conducted Affordable Housing Needs Assessment. Following the presentation, attendees broke into smaller groups for round table discussions facilitated by the Urban Institute.