Town Hall and Community Center & Public Safety Building
Project Description: With voter approval, the Town of Davidson is proceeding with a $14 million dollar project in support of public facilities for public safety, town staff and programming, and community use.
Design Review Board & Historic Preservation Commission Approved Plans:
Project Status: Active
Page Updated: 07/27/2022
Project name: Town Hall and Community Center & Public Safety Building
Cost: $14,000,000 (both projects)
Funding source: General Obligation Bonds issuance
Funding status: Approved by Davidson voters in November 2019
- Spring 2022 - Steel deliveries (tie site into Cathey St.)
- November 22, 2022 - Asphalt Binder (noise and vibration)
- November 1-5, 2021 - Install stormwater detention system (fencing will be removed, work close to Cathey St.)
- November 1, 2021 - Core out parking lot, set stone, lane closure (back up alarms, ground vibration, Cathey and South St. down to one lane with Charlotte Water work)
- October 27, 2021 - Dump truck deliveries
- October 25 -26, 2021 - Delivery of underground detention tanks (large trucks on site and in street)
- October 20, 2021 - West Elevation demo (concrete work will be loud)
- October 15 - November 3, 2021 - Work on new driveway entrance (traffic control present, sidewalks blocked as needed)
- October 15- November 3, 2021 - Curb and gutter work; construction in dumpster area (back up alarms)
- October 19, 2021 - Fine grade parking lot (ground vibration)
- October 18, 2021 - Demo blue and white out-building (large track hoe in use could be loud)
- May 19, 2021 - Building plans for 251 South Street were approved by the Davidson Design Review Board. Plans for 216 South Main St (Town Hall) were approved by the Historic Preservation Commission.
- February 1, 2021 - Site mobilization to begin, including perimeter fencing, new dumpsters, and additional construction traffic. This phase is anticipated to last a few months.
- September 22, 2020 - Public Facilities update to Board of Commissioners related to pricing after the completion of the design development phase.
- July 28, 2020 - Assistant Town Manager Karen Whichard updated the Town Board on the feedback from the Historic Landmarks Commission, shared updated floor plans, and made a recommendation for how to locate the board meeting chamber in the building.
- January 14, 2020 - Staff briefed the Board of Commissioners on the process of entering into professional service agreements with Creech & Associates and Edifice, Inc., reviewed the overall project schedule, and discussed the scope of the contracts for consideration and approval.
- November 5, 2019 - Voters in Davidson pass referendum to pay for public facilities.
- September 10, 2019 - Communications Director Amanda Preston presented the communications plan for information sharing about the public facilities project in advance of the 2019 election to the Board of Commissioners.
- August 27, 2019 - Presentation to Board of Commissioners regarding debt payment play for public facilities.
- August 13, 2019 - Resolution 2019-33 adopting Public Facilities Bond Order and Resolution 2019-34 Setting G.O. Bond Referendum Date.
- July 23, 2019 - Public Hearing to place $14 million GO Bond on the ballot.
- July 9, 2019 - GO Bond order resolution presented to Board of Commissioners.
- June 11, 2019 - Final conceptual design and pricing presented to Board of Commissioners. Town Board initiated the process to place a $14 million general obligation bond referendum on the November 5, 2019 ballot for consideration by the voters of Davidson in order to pay for public facilities.
- May 28, 2019 - Conceptual design and pricing presented to Board of Commissioners.
- May 7, 2019 - Visioning Workshop with the Town Board.
- March 26, 2019 - 251 South Street Steering Committee presented recommendations to Board of Commissioners.
- December 13, 2018 - Town of Davidson purchased the property at 251 South Street and launched the 251 South Street Task Force application process.
- Davidson Public Facilities Monthly Update September 2022
- Davidson Public Facilities Monthly Report April 2022
- Davidson Public Facilities Monthly Report March 2022
- Davidson Public Facilities Monthly Report February 2022
- Public Facilities Update - September 22, 2020
- Public Facilities Update - July 28, 2020
- Public Facilities Update - January 14, 2020
- Public Facilities GO Bond Presentation - August 27, 2019
- Public Facilities GO Bond Presentation - July 9, 2019
Town of Davidson
Betsy Shores, Town of Davidson Clerk