Wednesday, May 10:
National Bike to School Day (Many gathering locations begin at 8 a.m. Please check with your school for specific details)
• Davidson Elementary School: Families are invited to form a “walking school bus” and travel from their neighborhoods to school. The Tiger mascot will greet children as they travel to school. Several drop-off locations will be supported by community volunteers during the morning of May 10:
• Volunteers will be available on the Davidson town green. Parents may drop off children at the town green from 8:00 to 8:15 a.m. to walk (not bike) to school with volunteers. Volunteers and student walkers will leave the town green promptly at 8:15 a.m.
• Volunteers will be available at the greenway entrance on Avinger Lane (near The Pines) between 8:00 and 8:30 a.m. Parents may drop off their children at the start of the greenway to walk or bike to school.
• Families may join a “walking school bus” or drop students off at the Ada Jenkins Center’s basketball court area (212 Gamble Street) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:15 a.m. to walk to school. Volunteers and students will leave promptly at 8:15 a.m.
Community School of Davidson (CSD): Local families are encouraged to walk or bike to school and will likely see the Spartan mascot offering encouragement. There will be a “walking school bus” at Roosevelt Wilson Park (420 Griffith Street)-- students and volunteers will meet between 7:40 and 7:55 a.m. and then walk to the CSD lower school (Kindergarten through seventh grade). Students will also participate by walking during P.E. classes.
• Davidson Green School and Lake Norman Christian Lower School will also participate – please check with your school for details.
Police officers and volunteers will be stationed at key intersections to ensure safety throughout town.
“Bike Month is a good time to encourage more of us to get out of our cars; Davidson has the infrastructure and scale that makes this possible -- the more of us that are walking and biking, the safer the conditions become,” said Alta Planning + Design Planner and parent volunteer Heather Seagle. “About 80-85% of our family’s trips to school are riding our bikes. The rides home are especially fun, taking detours to the park, library and local shops. It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey!”
Saturday, May 13:
Lake Norman Bike Expo: 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Community Ride: 8:00 a.m. on-site registration, 8:30 a.m. -- 10:00 a.m. ride
Location: Caldwell Station Creek Greenway, NC Hwy 115 Trailhead in Cornelius
The Lake Norman Bike Expo event will feature bike demos from area bike shops, educational opportunities regarding bike safety and maintenance, and information about the best places to ride your bike in the Lake Norman/North Mecklenburg region. Davidson Parks & Recreation will have its solar-electric E.L.F. bike on display and a kids’ bike rodeo. The Town of Cornelius will have information on new greenways that are currently under development, along with maps from the town’s recently adopted bicycle master plan. The bike expo will be open 10:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in conjunction with the Caldwell Station Creek Greenway Grand Opening event. Join the fun early by showing up for the Community Ride. On-site registration starts at 8:00 a.m.