June is National Safety Month!
June is National Safety Month, and since we're all spending a lot more time in our homes these days, the Davidson Fire Department has put together some important safety tips about smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Captain Alex Harris has some tips about smoke detectors in this video: click here
or on the photo below!
Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless poison gas which can be fatal when inhaled. Here are some helpful tips in preventing carbon monoxide exposure in your home:
Where does carbon monoxide come from?
- fuel-burning appliances that are not functioning correctly
- furnaces, gas ranges/stoves, gas dryers, water heaters, portable fuel-burning space heaters, fireplaces, generators, and wood-burning stoves
- vehicles running in attached garages
- blocked chimneys or flues
- grills in an enclosed space
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Initial symptoms are similar to the flu but without the fever. Symptoms can include dizziness, severe headaches, nausea, sleepiness, fatigue/weakenss, and disorientation/confusion.
Do I need a carbon monoxide alarm in my home?
- Every home with at least one fuel-burning appliance/heater, attached garage, or fireplace needs a carbon monoxide alarm.
- An alarm should be installed on every level of the home AND in sleeping areas.
- If your home has only one alarm, install it in the main bedroom or in the hallway outside the sleeping area.
What should I do if my carbon monoxide alarm goes off?
- Move to fresh air and call 911! The Davidson Fire Department is equipped with gas meters which allow firefighters to monitor carbon monoxide.
- Leave your doors and windows closed so that the firefighters will be able to acquire an accurate meter reading once they arrive.
- If you, or anyone in the house, is experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms, make sure you notify the 911 dispatcher when you call. This information will be relayed to the responding fire engine, and an ambulance will also be dispatched.
- It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions- most CO alarms have different alerts for different circumstances. If you have ANY doubt, call 911! Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that is undetectable to human senses, and under no circumstances should a carbon monoxide detector be ignored.
Have questions? The Davidson Fire Department is here to help. You can reach them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 704-940-9623. Stay safe everyone!