Town News Center

Home Page News Flash Box

Posted on: June 23, 2020

June is National Safety Month- Home Safety

June is National Safety Month, and since we’re all spending a lot more time in our homes these days, the Davidson Fire Department has put together some important safety tips about smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. 

Smoke detectors

Captain Alex Harris has some tips about smoke detectors in this video: click here or on the photo below!

Captain Alex Harris

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors


Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless poison gas which can be fatal when inhaled.  Here are some helpful tips in preventing carbon monoxide exposure in your home:

Where does carbon monoxide come from?

  • fuel-burning appliances that are not functioning correctly
  • furnaces, gas ranges/stoves, gas dryers, water heaters, portable fuel-burning space heaters, fireplaces, generators, and wood-burning stoves
  • vehicles running in attached garages
  • blocked chimneys or flues
  • grills in an enclosed space


What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Initial symptoms are similar to the flu but without the fever.  Symptoms can include dizziness, severe headaches, nausea, sleepiness, fatigue/weakenss, and disorientation/confusion.


Do I need a carbon monoxide alarm in my home?

  • Every home with at least one fuel-burning appliance/heater, attached garage, or fireplace needs a carbon monoxide alarm.
  • An alarm should be installed on every level of the home AND in sleeping areas.
  • If your home has only one alarm, install it in the main bedroom or in the hallway outside the sleeping area.
What should I do if my carbon monoxide alarm goes off?
  • Move to fresh air and call 911! The Davidson Fire Department is equipped with gas meters which allow firefighters to monitor carbon monoxide.
  • Leave your doors and windows closed so that the firefighters will be able to acquire an accurate meter reading once they arrive.
  • If you, or anyone in the house, is experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms, make sure you notify the 911 dispatcher when you call.  This information will be relayed to the responding fire engine, and an ambulance will also be dispatched.
  • It is important to refer to the manufacturer’s instructions- most CO alarms have different alerts for different circumstances.  If you have ANY doubt, call 911!  Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that is undetectable to human senses, and under no circumstances should a carbon monoxide detector be ignored.
Have questions?  The Davidson Fire Department is here to help.  You can reach them via email at fireinfo@townofdavidson.org or by calling 704-940-9623.  Stay safe everyone!


Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home Page News Flash Box

NetSmartz Screenshot

Internet Safety Month

Posted on: June 30, 2020
2015Jamie Justice photo

Manager's Report: June 23, 2020

Posted on: June 25, 2020
2015Jamie Justice photo

Manager's Report: June 09, 2020

Posted on: June 12, 2020

June is National Safety Month!

Posted on: June 10, 2020

Continuum FY 21 Budget Available

Posted on: June 8, 2020

May Town of Davidson Events Canceled

Posted on: April 22, 2020

Davidson Businesses Thrive Online!

Posted on: April 20, 2020

Virtual Recreation Center Now Open!

Posted on: April 6, 2020

April 1st is Census Day!

Posted on: April 1, 2020
gnomeCutOut

Help Recognize Our Gnome Town Heroes

Posted on: March 31, 2020
2020 Mayor Knox

A NOTE FROM MAYOR RUSTY KNOX

Posted on: March 19, 2020