About the Project
Thank you to all those who submitted artwork for consideration. Selected artists will be notified of their acceptance by December 18, 2020.The Town of Davidson’s strategic plan states, “Davidson remains committed to controlling our own destiny as a distinct, sustainable, and sovereign small town. Our sense of community is rooted in citizens who respect each other; in racial and socioeconomic diversity; and in pedestrian and bicycle orientation; all in the presence of a small liberal arts college. Our history and character guide our future.”
In solidarity with recent national and local events—both tragic and inspiring, Davidson’s Public Art Commission is launching a project to line the main corridor to and through the Village with a variety of banners illustrating key ingredients of strong communities and our best selves:
RESPECT, EMPATHY, JUSTICE, EQUALITY, EQUITY, LOVE, BELONGING, INCLUSION, UNITY, PEACE AND UNDERSTANDING.
We are inviting artists of all ages who have an affiliation with our town or Davidson College (past or present) to make these concepts come alive through the creation of beautiful images that can ultimately be printed on 20" x 45.5" banners for public insight and enjoyment.
- There is no age restriction. Any aged artist can participate, even the youngest among us!
- Artists must live in North Carolina or be a member of the Davidson College Community (this includes Davidson College alumni living elsewhere).
- Entries must embrace the spirit of the aforementioned theme.
Artist Submission Requirements
- Artists can submit up to three proposed designs.
- Artwork can be created in any media.
- Selected artworks will be photographed for reproduction on full color banners.
- Artists must include a statement (200-word maximum per design) describing their proposed designs.
- Selected artists may be asked to refine their design to accommodate the printing process.
- Submissions will only be accepted through the online application HERE.
- Professional images of proposed work must be submitted in high resolution jpeg format under 5 MEG.
- Images should be named like this: FirstName_LastName_TitleofArtwork
- Entries are due by 5:00 p.m. on December 1, 2020.
- Artworks will be reviewed by the Davidson Public Art Commission along with outside jurors.
- Selected artists will be notified of acceptance by December 18, 2020.
- Banners will be produced and installed in early 2021 and will remain on view for up to one year.
- Banners will be displayed on light poles along Griffith and Main Streets in Davidson.
- Artists of winning submissions will receive $1000 per design.
- Artists will retain the copyright to their work but must grant the town of Davidson permission to use their images for display as well as press including on social media, website, and in print.
- The Davidson Public Art Commission may work with artists to create a benefit fundraiser for local non-profit organizations.
Want to apply?
Questions about the project?
Feel free to reach out to Economic Development Manager Kim Fleming at (704) 940-9622 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.