Davidson Commons East Lots 4AB - Hotel
Project StatusUnder Review
- On May 31 2017, the developer submitted a revised proposal to amend the approved Conditional Planning Area to allow a hotel and commercial uses. The existing approved plan permits the construction of two mixed-use buildings.
- On July 31, 2017 the Planning Board and Board of Commissioners will hold a Joint Work Session with the project team. See the Documents and Timeline tabs for more information about the proposal and this event.
Project Timeline (Subject to Change)
Below is a summary of the proposal history and tentative schedule for consideration of the project, including a list of public meetings:
- October 10, 2017 (Tentative), Board of Commissioners Meeting: The BOC may elect to take action on the proposal by vote.
- September 25, 2017 (Tentative), Planning Board Meeting: The PB will be asked to make a recommendation on the proposal.
- September 12, 2017 (Tentative), Board of Commissioners Meeting: The BOC will hold a Public Hearing on the proposal.
- August 28, 2017 (Tentative), Planning Board Meeting: Staff will provide a project update to the PB; no action will be taken.
- August 22, 2017, Board of Commissioners Work Session: Planning Dept. staff will provide public feedback to BOC.
- August 1-11, Stakeholder Engagement: Planning Dept. staff will review the plans with adjacent landowners and stakeholders and collect public comment.
- August 4, Public Engagement/Lunchtime Open House/Recorded Presentation: About 10 citizens attended a lunchtime open house from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm to learn about the proposal and provide feedback. Staff provided an overview presentation of the project, followed by public discussion and comment. The meeting was recorded and is available on the town's Ustream website. Citizens are encouraged to review the presentation and Staff Analysis (see Documents tab), and provide feedback by contacting the project manager, Trey Akers (firstname.lastname@example.org). Comments received by August 14, 2017 will be included in the staff update to the Board of Commissioners at the August 22 Work Session.
- August 4, Site Walk: About 20 citizens attended a site walk with the project manager and landowner/developer at 9:00 am. The proposed plans were briefly reviewed and attendees walked the project site's Griffith St. frontage as well as the adjacent Roosevelt Wilson Park property and along Westside Terrace, a street with homes abutting the project site's southeastern boundary.
- July 31, Joint Work Session: The Board of Commissioners and Planning Board gathered to informally review the proposal and make recommendations. Staff delivered an overview presentation of the project, which was followed by an applicant presentation and questions + discussion by board members. The event was live-streamed and is available for viewing on the town's Novus Agenda website.
- May 31, 2017, Application Submitted: A complete application was submitted for a Conditional Master Plan Amendment.
- March - May 2017: The applicant presented various revisions to staff and received feedback.
- Late February 2017: The applicant re-engaged staff with revised design based on TIA, PIS feedback.
- Mid-February 2017: Transportation Impact Analysis (TIA) Finalized, Accepted by Staff
- November 2016, Transportation Impact Analysis: Begun by ind. contractor selected/overseen by staff and paid for by developer.
- October 26, 2016, Public Input Session Report: Applicant submitted a PIS Report detailing public feedback and design action items.
- October 3, 2016, Public Input Session: Staff hosted well-attended introduction to proposal; citizen feedback collected.
- September 2016, Application Review: TOD & Meck. County staff reviewed Sketch Plan and prepared for Public Input Session.
- August 26, 2016, Application Submitted: A complete application for a Concept Plan was submitted.
- April - August, 2017, Concept Plan Preparation: The applicant presented various revisions to staff and received feedback.
- October 6, 2015: Developer met with town officials and staff to informally discuss the possibility of a hotel on Lots 4AB.
Lunch & Learn Presentation [August 4, 2017]
- Overview Presentation: This presentation complements the Joint Work Session Staff Analysis, reviewing a history of the site; relevant plans and policies; previous plans; and, the current proposal. The presentation was recorded and can be viewed on the town's Ustream webpage.
Joint Work Session [July 31, 2017]
- Staff Analysis: The purpose of the Staff Analysis is to assess the updated, proposed plan against existing standards; provide the public, Planning Board, and Board of Commissioners with the known facts; and, offer direction on which topics have been addressed and/or should be further explored. See the Lunch & Learn entry above for a copy of the presentation delivered at the Joint Work Session.
Frequently Asked Questions [July 26, 2017]
- Frequently Asked Questions: The FAQs represent an abridged version of the Staff Analysis posted above. While providing some detail, the document focuses mainly on the most commonly discussed topics.
Conditional Master Plan [May 31, 2017]
- Master Plan Schematic Design (Site Plans)
- Architectural Renderings: Note: These are conceptual renderings of the building. If the master plan is approved, final approval of the building's architectural design would occur through a separate Individual Building Process involving Design Review Board (DRB) approval. The Design Review Board is a quasi-judicial body comprised of citizens in various fields, including architecture, engineering, and preservation, among others, that issues binding guidance concerning a proposed building's design.
Transportation Impact Analysis [February 2017]
- TIA Report: TIA's area computing modeling exercises used to evaluate whether the scale of development is appropriate for a particular site and what improvements may be necessary on- and off-site to provide safe and efficient access for vehicles, pedestrians, and other users. The report includes an Executive Summary. The report's findings are also discussed in the JWS Staff Analysis posted above.
Public Input Session [October 3, 2016]
- Preliminary Staff Analysis:
- Public Input Session Report: This report was prepared by the applicant and submitted to the Town on October 26, 2016.
Concept/Sketch Plan [August 26, 2016]
Previously Approved Plans, Lots 4A-D [Pre-2016]
- Woodies Automotive Conditional Master Plan (2013)
- Davidson Commons East Master Plan - Phase 2 (2010)
- Davidson Commons East Master Plan (2007)
- Developer: Nish Patel, Beacon IMG, Inc.,
- Property Owner: Davidson Commons East Condominium Associates
- Attorney: Susan K. Irvin
- Site Designer: Geoscience Group, Inc.
- Architect: The RBA Group,
- Town Staff Project Manager: Trey Akers, Senior Planner,